Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Grrrr sewing sucks

Took a fabric (dye resist embellishment) class this semester. Past the add drop period the teacher said this class, besides dyeing, is a sewing intensive course. bleh...


Anyway, this class is taking up a lot of my time since I can't use sewing machine. (never learnt how) and Nui Shibori (stitch dye) technique of dyeing takes up so much time to stitch. But I did dye some very beautiful silk, and for the first project, we were supposed to make a piece of garment with the dyed fabric. and I chose to sew a dress for Fuyuko.


Dyed silk using Arashi Shibori (pole wrapping) technique
Clothing design by me...and all hand sewn.
This is the under layer of the full costume.



I will be using this second fabric for the second layer of the costume.
The length of the sleeves will reach her feet. Because it is so transparent, the layering effect will look very lovely..or so I hope.
This piece of fabric took me days to stitch and a full day to dye.
I used Nui Shibori for the white spirals. Dye and wash.
Then I made a thickener and added the dye to make a dye paste to paint the flowers. Dry, iron (heat set) and wash.
Lastly, I dip dye the ends with red.

Costume still in progress...

No comments: